Your online local sport by Millar Stoddart

Lanark United lose Clydesdale Cup on penalties to Carluke Rovers

Clydesdale Cup final Monday 15/07/19

Lanark United 2 v 2 Carluke Rovers

Carluke win 3-1 on penalties.

In a scrappy first half, Lanark had the best of the few chances on offer but still went in level at the break.

Lanarks first chance of note came in the 13th min when a good run down the left from James Martin ended with a Shug Kerr Header that brought out a good save from Terry in the visiting goal before being hooked clear then Sean Lindsay linked up well with Josh Gracie who again played in Kerr but his effort was blocked again.

The scoring was opened in the 19th min when a quickly taken free kick from Gracie was held up well by Kerr in the Carluke box before he set up Jordan Fraser, quick work allowed Fraser to switch the ball to his left foot before hitting a low shot in to the corner for 1-0 to the home side.

Lanark had  a half chances as they tried to double their lead from Mark Haddow who had an effort blocked but they allowed Carluke to start to dictate the match and it was no surprise when they drew level in the 33rd min when a poor free kick was deflected in to the path of Lafferty who fired home for 1-1.

Lanark's last chance of the half fell to Haddow but his weak header went just over the bar.

Half time Lanark United 1 v 1 Carluke Rovers.

Carluke controlled the early part of the second half without causing too much trouble for the home side but it took Lanark until the 67th min to put together a move of any conviction when Lindsay set Kerr free on the left but his end shot only found the side netting, then the same player put Dougie Imrie free in the middle of the park but his effort went wide.

Lanark were caught napping in the 72nd min when Carluke attacked down the left and a low cross was tapped home by Lowden for 2-1.

The home side huffed and puffed as they played out the last part of the match but did not look as if they were going to get anything out of the match until the second minute of stoppage time when a free kick was played long and Imrie held the ball up well before laying it in to the path of Cammy Lawson who fired an unstoppable effort wide of the Carluke keeper for 2-2.

Both sides had chances to win the match outright but neither was taken and the game went to penalties.

Murdock saved the first Carluke penalty but O’Donnell missed for Lanark, the second Carluke effort went over the bar but Lanark could not take advantage again when Haddow’s effort was saved, both sides scored their next penalty’s to make it 1-1 with Carluke taking the lead at 2-1 with the next effort but when Lawson missed his the writing was on the wall for Lanark and Carluke won it with the next effort.