The lack of an adequate supply of water for the town had been an increasing problem since at least 1812 and various ways of improving the situation were attempted. Once such solution was the development of marsh ground at Whitelees. At first it was a small pond used by the local curlers but after further development by Hugh Marr, architect, it had become a small loch by 1840. The loch was at the time known as Marr’s Loch. By 1850 after further improvements the loch began to be used as the main water supply for the town producing 125,000 gallons per day. The scheme was not as successful as was hoped but it importantly kept the development of Lanark progressing until a much larger and more reliable source of water was developed in the 1880s.