Your online local sport by Millar Stoddart

Carluke Rovers seal important win over struggling Dunipace

Carluke suffered defeat when both sides last met in October. Photo courtesy of Kevin Ramage

Carluke Rovers sealed a 4-0 victory against basement side Dunipace at Westfield Park as Colin Slater’s side notched up three successive wins in the Central District First Division.

Mark Weir scored from the penalty spot and a Dunipace own goal doubled Carluke’s lead before the interval and Ian Watt then added a brace to secure all three points.

Revenge was on the minds of the Clydesdale club after Dunipace sealed their only win of the season so far against the Rovers in October.

Dunipace had Gareth Alexander at the helm for his first game in charge after stepping up from his role as assistant manager to replace the outgoing Alan Moffat.

Wullie Soutar made his return to the Rovers line-up after a five months out with a serious knee injury.

Carluke were dealt another injury blow in the early stages of the game when Jamie Dickson pulled up with a hamstring injury with Ryan McGoldrick handed his debut for the club.

Carluke’s were unfortunate not to take an early lead when Mark Weir found Ian Watt with a pinpoint pass but with Watt bearing down on goal a fine last ditch challenge prevented the forward from getting an effort on goal.

A dangerous corner then caused problems in the Dunipace box and Stevie Murray’s effort looked destined for the back of the net but the goalkeeper made a remarkable save to keep the score level.

The visitors were not to be denied for too long though as another Weir corner found Murray and his header was blocked by the hand of a Dunipace defender who received his marching orders.

Weir dispatched the subsequent penalty and Carluke looked good value for their lead.

As half time approached Haddow was brought down in the middle of the park with Weir playing the resultant set piece to Watt on the right, he cut infield before hitting a shot towards goal which was played in to his own net by an unfortunate Dunipace defender to double Carluke’s lead.

The Rovers extended their lead after the break. Photo courtesy of Kevin Ramage

The second half started slowly as Dunipace searched for a way back into the game, hoping to draw inspiration from their win against the Rovers earlier in the season.

Carluke continued to push forward and punished Dunipace from set pieces, with Ian Watt placing an excellent shot over the wall and into the Dunipace net.

The Rovers controlled the rest of the match, creating good chances for Watt and Smillie, before they rounded off the scoring after 72 minutes.

McGoldrick set Watt free on the left who cut inside and fired another strike past the home goalkeeper.

Carluke Rovers: Grier, Bellew, Murray, Soutar (Stark), Haddow, Dickson (McGoldrick), McCole, Wilson, Weir (Reid), Watt, Smillie

Central District First Division
Pos Team Pld W D L F A GD Pts
1 Renfrew 15 10 2 3 32 20 12 32
2 Wishaw 14 10 1 3 41 25 16 31
3 Rossvale 12 9 1 2 36 15 21 28
4 Johnstone Burgh 13 8 1 4 31 24 7 25
5 St Roch's 15 7 2 6 36 25 11 23
6 Maryhill 12 7 1 4 28 20 8 22
7 Thorniewood United 13 6 3 4 34 28 6 21
8 Carluke Rovers 17 6 3 8 36 45 -9 21
9 Lesmahagow 14 6 1 7 30 25 5 19
10 Larkhall Thistle 12 5 2 5 24 29 -5 17
11 Neilston Juniors 13 3 2 8 20 29 -9 11
12 St Anthony's 15 2 4 9 16 37 -21 10
13 Vale of Clyde 11 2 2 7 14 25 -11 8
14 Dunipace 14 1 1 12 16 47 -31 4