The gates were created by the famous architect Thomas Telfer to be part of the Cartland Bridge he designed and built in the early 19th century. The gates were moved to the entrance of the old Lanark Market. The gates date from 1820 and are reputed to be the oldest surviving toll gates in Scotland. The gates were moved her from the bridge following the abolition of the turnpike trust. There used to be two sets of gates in Lanark, the Cartland Toll gates and gates to Lanark Racecourse. Both were moved to Hyndford Road in the 1880s. The gates for Lanark Racecourse have disappeared completely, probably sold for scrap metal decades ago at a time when their historic value was unrecognised.
Designed & built by Mucky Puddle