In 1855, a branch line was built to Lanark from the main Glasgow and Edinburgh railway line. It allowed goods to be carried in and out of the town and allowed people an easier route to visit the town and surrounding villages, including New Lanark and the Falls of Clyde. Behind the station, on the site of the Medical Centre, there was a sawmill, and opposite, on the site of the flats, there was a fancy box works, adjacent to the station for transporting goods.
On the 29th July 1953 Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh visited Lanark as part of an extensive tour of Britain. Arriving by train from Edinburgh the Queen was met by representatives of local youth organisations. After inspecting the guard of honour, composed of the 1st Battalion the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) in Bannatyne Street, the Queen and her entourage proceeded by car to the County Buildings in Hope Street.
Provost T.A.R. Russell with the town Magistrates and other officials met the Queen and joined her in a reception in the County Hall. During this the Queen inspected the Silver Bell racing trophy which had been won by her father’s horse Kingstone in 1946.
Designed & built by Mucky Puddle