One of Lanark Community Development Trust’s heritage projects is ‘The Cameronian Memorial’, which involved the creation of a memorial sculpture and official naming of a roundabout at the site of the Winston Barracks on the outskirts of Lanark. (Hyndford Road, ML11 9ZR)
The unveiling of the new roundabout signs took place on Saturday 10th November 2018. Present were members of The Cameronians Friends and Family Association, the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, Lanark Community Development Trust, local councillors and representatives from local churches.
On 18th May 2019, the memorial sculpture was unveiled, and along with the roundabout naming, forms a fitting tribute to the soldiers based at the Barracks and serves to highlight an important aspect of Lanark’s heritage as well as improving the visual aesthetics of one of Lanark’s main gateways for visitors.
In conjunction with the memorial sculpture, a booklet has been created with information on The Cameronians and their time in Lanark whilst based at the Winston Barracks. An accompanying exhibition ‘The Burgh and the Barracks’ also took place in the Lanark Tolbooth from 18th May – 1st June 2019.
Although local men from Lanark & Clydesdale had always served in the Cameronians, it was not until 1947 that the Regiment once again had a direct connection with Lanark. In 1936, £150,000 was set aside for the construction of a new headquarters for the Scottish Rifles. Building began at Lanark in late 1939 and the newly named Winston Barracks were completed by 1941.
The Cameronians did not take up occupancy until after the war, because until that time the Barracks were used by a number of training units. When they finally arrived in 1947 the Town Council unanimously approved that the Regiment be awarded the Freedom of the Burgh.
Designed & built by Mucky Puddle