In 1790 the Lanark Burgh Council established a company by selling fifteen shares at £50 each to 'Gentlemen of the County' for the purpose of erecting a 'modern Inn'. The Council retained six shares.
The Clydesdale Inn opened in 1792, catering to visitors to the Falls of Clyde and New Lanark Mills. Many of the crowned heads of Europe visited and in 1803 William and Dorothy Wordsworth with Samuel Taylor Coleridge stayed there. The Inn was the location for a meeting held in December 1841 at which the Caledonian Railway Company was formed. Charles Dickens was a visitor during the 1860's.
The old kitchen of the hotel is floored in stone slabs which may date back to previous monastery days when there was a Franciscan Friary on land between the Clydesdale Inn and Greyfriars Church. It has also been reported that the Inn is haunted by a grey monk!
The Clydesdale Inn today is an independently operated bar and restaurant.
Designed & built by Mucky Puddle