Christ Church Lanark is a Grade B listed building. The architect was John Henderson (Edinburgh 1804 – 1862) and Christ Church was one of his last commissions. Henderson was also responsible for Lamington Chapel (1858) and St Peter’s, Montrose (1859).
Christ Church was consecrated on Lady Day (25 March) 1858 and celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2008. St Mary’s Hamilton, was also designed by Henderson and completed in 1849.
Christ Church was constructed in traditional Gothic style with the facade in keeping with the scale and character of Hope Street where the church stands. On turning the corner into Greenside Lane, it supports the scale and streetscape defined by the row of weavers’ cottages. The North Aisle was built in 1923 as a memorial after the First world war. This side chapel has recently been improved greatly by the purchase of free-standing cathedral style chairs. The side chapel is still used as a memorial chapel as most of the chairs have been purchased by parishioners as memorials to loved ones or to mark special occasions such as baptisms and weddings.
Designed & built by Mucky Puddle