Within the cemetery the large building is the Murray Chapel. It was erected and bequeathed to the community in 1912 by Helen Martin Murray in memory of her parents, brothers and sisters.
Helen Martin Murray was born in New Lanark in 1832, the youngest child of John Murray, the Manager of the Cloth store in New Lanark.
After the death of her father, the three daughters and their mother moved to Glasgow and set up a successful 'dress and mantle' business in the West End of Glasgow. George Murray, only son, was a watchmaker and jeweller. He set up in Calcutta and made a considerable fortune.
The sisters also retired with 'ample means'. One of the sisters married and lived in Millport. Agnes and Helen took great pleasure in 'prolonged continental trips'.
During one of these trips, Miss Agnes Murray died very suddenly in Boulogne and some years later when Mr George died, Mill Helen Murray was left quite alone. Helen died on 10 January 1918 after a short illness, aged 85.
The family are interred in the family burial ground in Lanark.
During her lifetime, Miss Helen Murray give very generously to charity.
She gave two cottage homes to Quarries, a new ward to the western Infirmary in Glasgow and numerous large sums to various benevolent societies and individual cases. She and her brother also presented a beautiful stained glass window to Lanark Parish Church (now St Nicholas Church) in memory of her sister Agnes.
The Murray Chapel is currently in disrepair but hopefully it will be used again soon for the community.
Designed & built by Mucky Puddle