Named Brewery Close in 2020 to commemorate the presence of one of Lanark’s former breweries which lay at the end of this close. Owned by Murray & Kilgour, and later the Gilroy family, the brewery started in about 1830.
At its height the brewery employed around 30 men and was known for its London Porter, India Pale Ale and soft drinks, as well as the bottling of Bass and Guinness under license. Closing in 1911, the stock and plant sold at auction included 60,000 pint bottles.
Designed & built by Mucky Puddle