This close is named after Thomas Thomson, innkeeper. He and his wife Charlotte ran the Bruce Arms public house during the mid to late 1800s. The previous owner was Thomas Prosser, Charlotte’s father.
Thomson's Close led to the Rope Walk of Alexander Sharpe. The Rope Walk was a covered shed about 250 yards long where Sharpe made ropes, nets and other similar products. Sharpe was in business here by 1837 and until after 1861.
Designed & built by Mucky Puddle